Cele|bitchy

Cele|bitchy


Beyonce claims she had a natural birth, Jay-Z reveals Bey’s previous miscarriage

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:30 AM PST

There are about 20 million stories regarding Beyonce, Jay-Z and little Blue Ivy, who was born on Saturday at Lenox Hill Hospital. Allegedly. For convenience, I'm just going to do all of the new stories in bullet points.

*A new (peasant!) father was trying to get into the neonatal intensive care unit to see his newborn, premature twins, but he was shut down by Bey and Jay's bodyguards – they shut down the entire NICU, allegedly, by shelling out $1.3 million to Lenox Hill. The father is pissed, and some of the parents who were manhandled by Bey and Jay’s bodyguards are considering a lawsuit.

*However, the hospital denies both the "closing off the NICU" story and the "$1.3 million" story. A spokesperson for the hospital told TMZ: “The suggestion that the couple paid $1.3 million to rent an entire maternity floor is simply not true. The family is housed in an executive suite at the hospital and is being billed the standard rate for those accommodations. The family does have its own security detail on site. However, the hospital has been and continues to be in control of managing all security at the facility. We have made every effort to ensure minimal disruption to other families experiencing the births of their own children over the past three days.”

*Jay-Z already has a song about his new daughter. It's called "Glory (feat. Blue Ivy Carter)". Apparently, it features a clip of Blue Ivy crying just moments out of the womb (whose womb?). Jay also makes a reference to a previous miscarriage that Beyonce suffered – that no one knew about before now. Sad. Here's the song, with the lyrics appearing in the video:

*Lastly, Bey and Jay issued a statement about the birth. According to the official story that Jay and Bey are now putting it out, there was NO C-section involved. Bey wants everyone to know that she was NOT too posh to push. I'm sure she'll be singing about the "pain" too, right? Here's the statement:

Hello Hello Baby Blue!

We are happy to announce the arrival of our beautiful daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, born on Saturday, January 7, 2012. Her birth was emotional and extremely peaceful, we are in heaven.

She was delivered naturally at a healthy 7 lbs and it was the best experience of both of our lives. We are thankful to everyone for all your prayers, well wishes, love and support.”

[Via Us Weekly]

Do you believe her? Do you believe any of this? Do you believe that Beyonce was really and truly pregnant all of this time, that her magical bump kept going up and down in size on its own, and that she carried to full-term (while flying all over North America) and she went into labor and that she delivered naturally and vaginally? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!!? Granted, I feel bad now that I know Bey and Jay had gone through a miscarriage before… but I honestly think that piece of information can be used for the surrogacy case. Maybe Bey really did have problems conceiving and/or carrying to term, thus, they used a surrogate. I don't know. But I find the initial reports of a "scheduled C-section" versus "Oh, no, I had a natural birth!" contradiction to be just another in a long line of suspicious activities. Maybe Bey just decided "In for a penny, in for a pound." She's lied about so much, why not make up a fake natural birth?

Beyonce when she was seven months pregnant:

Photos courtesy of Fame.
FP_8023711_Beyonce_AAR_08_09 FP_8140537_Beyonce_CWNY_03_04 FP_8140535_Beyonce_CWNY_01_04

Lindsay Lohan is in talks to play Elizabeth Taylor in a Lifetime movie

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:28 AM PST

In between photo shoots where she demanded to be styled like Marilyn Monroe, Lindsay Lohan stopped for a moment and decided that she would like to be styled like Elizabeth Taylor, circa Butterfield 8, for one photo shoot. The shoot was back in 2006, I believe, and it was for Interview Magazine - I've included a couple of the shots in this post. This was obviously back when LL had some semblance of a career, and back when her crack-face still looked relatively normal, and she hadn't begun jacking her lips with everything she could find. Still, over the years, the Cracken definitely forced the Marilyn Monroe comparisons much harder, which makes this news even more ridiculous. Lindsay is in talks to play one of the most famous brunettes in the history of Hollywood – she in discussions to PLAY Elizabeth Taylor in a Lifetime movie based on Taylor and Richard Burton's love story. BITCH PLEASE. And who will play Richard Burton? Wilmer Valderrama?

After emulating Marilyn Monroe in a series of photo shoots, most recently for Playboy, Lindsay Lohan may be taking on another screen legend, Elizabeth Taylor. I have learned that the 25-year-old actress is in early talks for the female lead in Lifetime's original movie Elizabeth & Richard: A Love Story, chronicling the enduring love of movie icons Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, whose fiery romance was the most notorious, publicized and celebrated love affair of its day.

The film, produced by Larry Thompson (Amish Grace) and written by Christopher Monger (Temple Grandin), was originally announced as part as Lifetime's 2011-12 development slate. Lohan, a child actress who successfully transitioned into young adult roles with Freaky Friday and Mean Girls, has been largely sidelined from her acting career for the past couple of years by stints in rehab, jail, court rooms and recently, a morgue as part of her community service. Lohan's most recent credits include the features Machete and Labor Pains and an arc on ABC's Ugly Betty.

Lohan has been compared to Taylor. In addition to their physical resemblance, a 2004 Slate story lists a host of other similarities: "Both had domineering stage mothers, little semblance of a real childhood, fame from a young age, substance abuse issues, public emotional outpourings, and copious amounts of tabloid drama. The key difference, though, is that Elizabeth Taylor had a true record of achievement before she became the most notorious movie star in America."

[From Deadline]

The key difference is that Elizabeth Taylor was never a mangy crackhead. Sure, Liz could drink like a fish and she had a problem with pills later in her life, right? But when Elizabeth was LL's age, she was already the biggest movie star in the world, she was already a mother, she already had been married and divorced a few times, and she was just about to get with her first great love, Mike Todd. Meanwhile, LL… just posed for Playboy? Ugh. Please don't do this, Lifetime. Please don't destroy my soul. Please don't piss on the memory of Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

Photos courtesy of WENN, Interview Mag.
LL1 LL2 wenn1672511 wenn1672513 wenn5770045 wenn1672509 wenn5485743 wenn2848565

LeAnn Rimes’s Hawaiian bikini extravaganza was soaked in booze & paparazzi

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:27 AM PST

Over the weekend, there were about a million new photos of LeAnn Rimes in various bikinis, doing various activities in Hawaii, all while her ass was hanging out. This woman must have only packed bikinis for her trip, because I've yet to see her in anything else, and she was photographed constantly last week too – go here and here for a recap. She doesn't even have any cover-ups. She didn't even pack a t-shirt, I don't think.

In the photos where she's holding a baby… I don't know whose baby that is. Fame/Flynet noted, "The country singer stopped to hold a 4 month old baby boy while walking around in a two piece bikini. Rimes was overheard saying 'My husband already has two and I figured that was it but after holding this baby I think I changed my mind.'" I don't even know – whatever. I'll believe that she's pregnant when she tweets about it.

As for the other photos, where LeAnn is carrying beer and acting like an idiot, Fame notes that LeAnn and Eddie were "enjoying a morning game of Bochee Ball complete with a beer while in Hawaii. LeAnn, the only one showing off her bikini bod appeared to be hosting the game as she could be seen fetching beers, collecting balls and jumping for joy. She also couldn’t help touching people, including her husbands butt. Later he was seen reciprocating the gesture on January 7, 2012." I don't know why that write-up amused me so much. Like, even the photographers were talking amongst themselves about LeAnn's incessant bikini-wearing and her obvious try-hard antics. I would almost feel bad for her – if she wasn't so willfully crazy.

Photos courtesy of Fame.
FP_8373326_Rimes_LeAnn_ZEAPFF_11_16 FP_8373321_Rimes_LeAnn_ZEAPFF_06_16 FP_8376485_Rimes_Cibrian_ZEAPFF_12_20 FP_8376490_Rimes_Cibrian_ZEAPFF_17_20 FP_8376480_Rimes_Cibrian_ZEAPFF_07_20 FP_8377745_Rimes_Leanne_ZeusApollo_05_26 FP_8377756_Rimes_Leanne_ZeusApollo_16_26 FP_8377763_Rimes_Leanne_ZeusApollo_23_26 FP_8377765_Rimes_Leanne_ZeusApollo_25_26

Angelina Jolie in leather Ferragamo at the NYFCC Awards with Brad: lovely?

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:26 AM PST

It's always a special occasion for me when I see new photos of Angelina Jolie, seen here with Brad Pitt at last night's New York Film Critics Circle Awards. But I feel like it's my birthday and Christmas rolled into one when Angelina rocks some old-school leather. Angelina and leather go together like Michael Fassbender and sweetshops, like chocolate and peanut butter, like chocolate and Fassbender. They are perfectly matched, is what I'm saying. Old-school Angelina used to wear biker gear and too-pale makeup and a druggy demeanor. These days, the druggy demeanor is gone, her makeup has improved, and the leather has gone from "biker girl" to "high-fashion". I like this ensemble so much – it's Ferragamo! She looks gorgeous. I love being able to see her waist, and she has the figure for pencil skirts. Love the pop of color with the emerald necklace too. DOWN WITH SACKS!!!

Anyway, as I said, Brad and Angelina were at the NYFCC Awards. Brad took home Best Actor for Moneyball and Tree of Life. Congrats to him – I do think he'll end up with an Oscar nomination this year. But will he end up taking home the award? His competition will likely be George Clooney, Jean Dujardin, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gary Oldman and Michael Fassbender? Who would you pick?

Meanwhile, some new interviews with Angelina are still coming out – these are from Palm Springs, where she and Brad did press over the weekend.

Angelina Jolie is as well known for her work helping refugees around the world as she is for making movies. But she’ll let her kids decide for themselves whether they want to follow in her activist footsteps.

“I’m not one of those moms who kind of lectures [my kids],” Jolie, 36, told reporters on Saturday at the 23rd Annual Palm Springs Film Festival. “But I do tell them, whenever I go on a trip, where I’m going and why. And on some occasions, they’ve come with me to different refugee camps. And they also go to their home countries a lot.”

The actress, who wore an Elie Saab gown to the festival’s awards gala, has faith her little ones will make decisions based on what they see in their day-to-day lives.

“Hopefully they live in the world, and they see the world really as it is, outside of Hollywood,” she says. “If they really live in the world and spend time with friends around the world from all different types of backgrounds, they [will] just see things as they are.”

Even though Jolie doesn’t expect her children to take up the same causes, she does look for opportunities – such as daughter Zahara’s birthday on Sunday – to remind them about who they are and where they come from.

“We make sure we’re very aware of her culture and her heritage,” Jolie says of Zahara, who turned 7 on Sunday. “She’s an African-American girl, so we make that a part of anything she does. So that’ll be a part of her [birthday].”

[From People]

Us Weekly reports that Angelina spend Sunday morning shopping for little girl's clothes in Sherman Oaks too – a source says Jolie “bought really cute girly stuff in bright colors… Little peasant tops, sweaters and tights… she picked out a bunch of stuff and left very quickly. Once people noticed her, everyone was staring and running to see her, so she left with a bodyguard. She had several bags of birthday gifts for her daughter.” Aw… I love Z's style. It sounds like her mom knows what to buy the Empress too – Z will like her peasant tops and girly stuff. Meanwhile, Shiloh still dresses like an extra from The Sopranos. And Brad and Angelina accept it!

Photos courtesy of WENN.
wenn5777081 wenn5777084 wenn5776874 wenn5776886 wenn5776881 wenn5776892

Justin Bieber wants to be the greatest: “I’ll get more into making love when I’m older.”

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:16 AM PST


That quote is taken completely out of context, but I couldn’t resist. I think Justin is talking about his songwriting and about waiting to sing about getting down once he’s older and his fanbase is older (as if that will ever happen), but still it’s funny. Widdle Biebs turns 18 in March. A new cover story interview in V Magazine focuses on where the teen phenomenon wants to go with his career as he makes the transition into adulthood. Bieber comes across as driven, committed and full of himself. He keeps talking about how he wants to be the best and the greatest musician and the biggest star in his field, and how he looks up to Michael Jackson as the King of Pop. There’s no humility, there’s no acknowledgment that he owes a lot to other musicians – although he does admit that he has to practice and train hard. It’s all about how he’s going to be the best, better than anyone else that came before him. At one point he talks about how his mother got a message from God that he was supposed to be “voice of the next generation.” I do admire how tenacious the kid is, but he is in no way down to earth. How could he be when he’s been propped up and worshiped for years?

ED But what does that mean to you? Just a goal to have?
JB My goal at the end of the day—right now—I want to be successful and be great at what I do. But eventually, I want to become the best at what I do. I want to be the best. In the world. I want to be better than anybody that's ever done it. And in order to do that, I need to strive to be the best, be good to people and treat people with respect, and work as hard as I can. Because for me, I work so hard and this consumes my life, and it's not worth it if I'm not the best.

ED So who's the best now?
JB Right now? I mean, I consider Michael Jackson the best. If I could be at his level… But I've got a lot of work to do. I'm not saying it's going to happen within the next three years. But hopefully by the time I'm 30, people will remember me. I think people will remember me at this point, but I don't want people to just think of me as a teen sensation. Because I could probably just sell out, and then in two years not put out another album, and just become Justin Bieber the teen superstar. But I don't want to be that. I want to transition, and become the greatest.

ED That's something I want to ask you about: transitions. You're going to be 18 in March. It's a big benchmark from childhood to adulthood. Do you feel like you have to play the role of a kid still?
JB Here's the thing: I think that I don't need to try to do anything. There are people who try to grow up too fast—they're 18, so they're like, I'm not a kid anymore. People need to know I'm not a kid anymore. But at the end of the day, I'm not completely grown-up. I'm still learning. I'm going to grow up how I grow up. I'm not going to try to conform to what people want me to be or go out there and start partying, have people see me with alcohol. I want to do it at my own pace. But I'm never going to make myself so the kids and the parents don't respect me. There're some artists that [parents won't] let their kids go and see because they think they're a bad influence. I want to be able to do what Michael did—he always sang clean lyrics—and it was always that little kids loved Michael and grandparents loved Michael. I don't want to start singing about things like sex, drugs, and swearing. I'm into love, and maybe I'll get more into making love when I'm older. But I want to be someone who is respected by everybody. Because right now, the young people are who make society. Young people determine what's cool. Young people determine what's going to be in style. So I always stick with the young people, that's what I say.

ED You know, Michael kind of went crazy. A lot of people go crazy. Is that something you think or worry about?
JB Michael had a really bad childhood. I was blessed with a great childhood. My mom loved me. My dad loved me. I'm now a teenager and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything in my life. I've gotten to experience everything I possibly could. I don't look back and think, Ugh, I wish I would have been able to do that. Maybe [Michael] missed out on a lot, so he tried to [re-live] his childhood when he was older. But I've got such good people around me, I'm not worried.

ED You're talking about keeping clean and making music for everybody, but a lot of the artists you look up to, like Lil Wayne, Kanye—a lot of what those guys rap about is drugs, sex, and money. So what is it that you like so much about them? Is it the music? The rhymes?
JB I can't say I look up to them, but I definitely like what they do. I think that they're amazing. But are they on Michael's level? I don't think they're on Michael's level.

ED Tell that to Kanye.
JB Well, Kanye is on a different level. I mean, Kanye is probably my favorite producer. He's a musical genius. But, he's not on Michael's level. I think that in order to be on Michael's level you have to reach as many people as Michael reached, and Kanye doesn't reach as many people. No one really does.

[From V Magazine]

So no one else is on Michael Jackson’s level, but Bieber is going to be. At least he’s trying to keep it clean, if only so he can sell more bubblegum pop.

Bieber recently got a big tattoo of Jesus on his leg around the calf area. Since he’s under 18, his moms presumably had to sign off on it. He talked about his spirituality to V, saying that he prays and talks to JC but isn’t religious and doesn’t go to church. He also claimed that people hate him because he’s successful and that they need to give his music a chance:

It's all about making good music, and people hate me before they even listen to my music. I know a lot of people say they hate Justin Bieber who haven't even listened to any of my music. They just hate me because they hate the idea of me. I'm young, I'm handsome—I don't mean to sound conceited—but they think that I just got here because [of that], because I'm good-looking and girls like me.”

Maybe this kid will take it farther, it remains to be seen. He’s definitely got the motivation and he’s been wildly successful up to this point. He’s really lacking humility though, and isn’t that what JC is supposed to be all about?

Bieber is shown on 12-28 at a Raptors Pacers game in Toronto. Credit: WENN.com

Katie Holmes’ H. Stern jewelry ads: truly sexy or just a topless zombie?

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:08 AM PST

These days, I think most of us have realized that Katie Holmes is much more of a model than an actress. That is, we’re all aware of Katie’s artistic shortcomings unless we just happen to be Tom Cruise, who believes that Katie is “amazing” in all capacities and probably was the midget behind Variety’s decision to name Katie the “Face of the Future in Film” last year. After all, her latest theatrical outings have included such gems as Jack and Jill and Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, both of which underperformed at the box office and featured the same exact robotic actressin’ style familiar to anyone who dared to watch The Kennedys miniseries. In modelling, however, robotic isn’t always a terrible thing. Katie’s already brought her zombie face to an Ann Taylor campaign, and now she’s doing a variation called “topless zombie” for a new H. Stern jewelry ad campaign:

She’s become known for dressing down in recent months, usually going casual in loose jeans and tracksuit bottoms.

But now Katie Holmes has proved that when it comes to being sexy, she can still pull it out the bag.

The 33-year-old actress is seen going topless in a series of sexy and sultry new campaign for jeweller H. Stern.

Showcasing a pretty necklace, and not much else, Katie looks seductively into the camera as her long brown hair blows out around her.

In another shot, mother-of-one Katie is seen writhing around in the sand, advertising a pretty chain bracelet.

Katie is also seen displaying her stunning figure in a sexy black one-piece, going for the wet look with her hair slicked back to show off her model-like bone structure.

While the adverts, Katie’s third campaign for H. Stern, are currently only running in Israel, they are set to hit America this autumn.

[From Daily Mail]

Okay, so she goes sort of topless and her eye makeup looks good here, but I’m still seeing the same trancelike Katie who gets regularly featured in publicity blitzes for Tom’s movies. Quite frankly, these new ads aren’t any sexier than the slutty pumpkin, and that’s saying something. It’s all in the eyes, and Katie’s eyes are quite like those of the undead.

Admittedly, this is the one selection from the campaign that doesn’t look half bad and is sort of lifelike.

In the rest of these ads though, Katie just looks like the Bride of Xenu.

Photos courtesy of H. Stern and HuffPo

holmesstern2 holmesstern1 holmesstern4 holmesstern7

Kate Winslet’s latest St. John’s ad campaign: less bitchfaced, more Botoxy?

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 08:12 AM PST

Kate Winslet was named as the new "(Botox)face" of St. John's last year. Her first batch of ads were memorable, in my mind, because Kate looked seriously pissed off in every shot, and St. John's ad people must have found it difficult to Photoshop-out the "bitchface." Anyway, these are some new ads from the St. John's Spring 2012 campaign. We have two print ads and a video (which I've included below). The ad campaign was shot by Craig McDean, who does a lot of work for W Magazine, often creating airy, light-soaked images. I like the idea of this ad campaign – a woman in her 30s who isn't a size zero, wearing comfortable, accessible, pretty business-wear. But somehow, the execution is "off" somehow. Maybe it's because of whatever is happening to Kate's face? Should we talk about Kate's face? Um. You know my thoughts on it. Bitch is jacked to high heaven. Feel free to disagree.

In the video, Kate says: “This collection does feel very light and very fresh. What I love too is the lines are a lot more relaxed, and yet at the same time they still give shape, so you get those lovely feminine curves, which to me are very, very important. You don’t have to be a size 2 or even a size 4 to be able to wear these garments because they fall so well, they’re cut for women with a shape, and of course I love that. That’s me all over.”

Ads courtesy of St. John's.
winslet1 winslet3 winslet2

Stellan Skarsgard, 60, to have his eighth child with a woman his son’s age

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 07:32 AM PST


Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard has been a busy man both professionally and otherwise. His second wife, 35 year-old Megan Everett, is pregnant with their second child together. They also have a son, Ossian, who turns 3 in April. Stellan has six children from his previous marriage, the oldest of whom is actor Alex Skarsgard, 35, of “True Blood” fame. So Stellan, 60, is married to a woman who is the same age as his oldest son and is about to welcome an eighth child at a time when most men his age are having grandchildren. This news is from the Swedish press and has not yet been picked up by US outlets that I can find.

I know Stellan from Good Will Hunting and he’s worked very steadily since. He appears in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, in which he plays a supporting role. I was looking through his interviews promoting Dragon Tattoo and he doesn’t give a lot of personal information and sticks to talking about his role and the film. He did share this story that I found touching and wanted to repeat. It doesn’t have a lot to do with his wife being pregnant, but I thought I may as well include it:

When asked what moment of his career stood out, Movie Fanatic got the most personal of answers. "There was something that changed my attitude towards a lot of things. I did a film called Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg. I played Wallenberg, who saved Jews in Hungary during World War II. We were shooting in the old ghetto there, night shoots, freezing cold. Out of the houses came all these Jews that had lived there and had met Wallenberg. They came up to me and touched me and cried. Suddenly, it became something different for me. I didn't care if this became a good film. I don't care if my performance is a good piece of art. The only thing that is important is that in some essence or way, what I do is true to those people and their lives," Skarsgard said.

"The strange thing was what came out of that was I suddenly could do pure entertainment films because they were just as unimportant as the serious films to me. In a way, it made me more lighthearted in my approach. I was not so pretentious. Now I'm doing the dark stuff and the light stuff and I'm having a good life [laughs]."

[From Movie Fanatic]

That was a moving story. Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg came out in 1990 so more people who lived through the Halocaust would have been alive at that time.

Well I don’t know much about Stellan apart from slavishly following his very hot son, but he seems to keep his personal life on lockdown. Alex talked about that in a GQ interview last year, saying that we’re “never going to see a television show The Skarsgards." He also joked that his dad was “over the hill.” He’s not too old to have more kids though apparently. So Alex will have a half brother that’s 35 years younger than he is. I’m sure that happens in a lot of families, but it still strikes me as strange.

Update: gratuitous Alex Skarsgard photos.

wenn3348996 wenn5769009 wenn3657726 wenn5645013 wenn3315311 wenn5660987 wenn3443176 66091PCN_USopen01 wenn5739968

Thanks to Bee for the tip! Photo of Stellan and Megan are from 12-12 and 12-14-11. Credit: WENN.com. Alex photos are from 2011 credit: WENN and Pacific Coast news

Rooney Mara in red lace Valentino in Rome: very pretty or too frilly?

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 04:21 AM PST

These are some new photos of Rooney Mara and her God and Creator, director David Fincher, in Rome. I guess Daniel Craig wasn't contractually obligated to make appearances for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo any further than Berlin. Or maybe Rooney and Fincher just wanted to have some private time in Rome. Is that gross? I can't decide if it's really gross or just sort of uncomfortable. Obviously, there's the age difference, and the difference in status. It's all so Pygmalion – Prof. Higgins and his Eliza Doolittle. And look at the way they look at each other. They're doing it. Gross? Eh.

As for Rooney and her shot of color – my immediate assumption was correct, this dress is Valentino. It reminds me of the lace dress Keira Knightley wore at the 2011 Venice Film Festival premiere of A Dangerous Method, although I liked Keira's a lot better, and Keira wore her dress with more elegance. Still, it's interesting to see Rooney in color. Red works on her, and I appreciate that her makeup is improving. I still think she needs a new stylist, though.

I'm also including photos from the photo call earlier in the day yesterday. I wish we had better photos of Rooney's dress at the Rome photo call. She wore this odd Dion Lee leather dress – you can see it here. It's… weird. I don't think Rooney has the kind of figure that she thinks she has.

Photos courtesy of WENN.
wenn3676159 (1) wenn3676163 wenn3676161 wenn3676160 wenn3675830 wenn3675831

Katherine Heigl: working outside the home “makes me a better mother”

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 04:19 AM PST

Katherine Heigl wisely took a bit of time off after she and husband Josh Kelley adopted their daughter, Naleigh. Of course, I’m not judging the timing of said time off other than to say that it was convenient for Katherine to become a first-time mother at a point when she was quickly reaching a saturation point in Hollywood romcom territory. She needed a break anyway, and her daughter certainly must have appreciated the extra bonding time with mommy. Then a few months ago, Heigl surfaced to promote New Year’s Eve and commenced chipping away at her “ice queen” image with a couple of rather candid interviews and a Funny or Die video that poked fun at her image. Now Heigl is promoting One for the Money, and she seeks to humanize herself further with an iVillage guest blog about balancing life as a working mother. Why yes, she has a nanny, but she does make a valid point or two regardless:

I have always known I wanted to be a mother . . . I have also always known I wanted to be an actress . . . I could not have known when I was 10 years old holding other women's children and playing the greatest game of make-believe on earth that I would one day have to reconcile my two great loves. I didn’t realize that having it all would not look and feel as I imagined. I knew, of course, as I prepared to welcome my daughter into my life that it would be a bit of a juggling act but I had no doubt that I could do it. After all, it’s 2012 and women have been told that we can have it all if we want it. I went into it full throttle, ready to buckle down and make it all work seamlessly as I always imagined I could. The thing is I couldn’t.

No matter how great my intentions, how lofty my goals, how passionate my commitment, I was failing. I was failing my work, I was failing my daughter, I was failing my husband. I was stressed out and exhausted. I was worried and afraid it was all slipping through my fingers no matter how tight my grip. I couldn’t appreciate or enjoy the moments with Naleigh because I feared they weren’t enough for her and knew they weren’t enough for me. I couldn't enjoy the work because I was so distracted by the little being in my trailer waiting for me. I couldn’t help but wonder what I had gotten myself into and if the choice I made to be a working mother was the most selfish decision of my life.

I spent months wondering if I would have to let my career go, if I could even let it go. Telling myself that Naleigh is and should be all that matters to me now, I started to scale back my work commitments and stay home more with my child. I was there every night to make her dinner, give her a bath, put on her jammies, read her a book and put her to bed. I was there every morning to get her up (though, let’s be honest, I’m not much of a morning person so having a nanny and a husband happy to do mornings is a huge blessing!), make her breakfast, watch The Little Mermaid with her, go on play dates and so on and so on. I was there and I loved it but when the next job came around I jumped like a fish starving for water.

I asked myself what was wrong with me. How can I want to leave my child to go back to work? How can I miss all those important little moments with her to do nothing more significant then make a movie? I mean, at least if I were a renowned scientist working on solving world hunger I might have an excuse. The simple truth is that I love my daughter passionately and as most mothers do, think she is the smartest, funniest, prettiest child in the whole world — but she cannot fulfill everything in me.

After months of being a full-time mom, the prospect of going back to work thrilled me, brought my mind and creativity into sharp focus and made me feel that old familiar drive that has inspired me my whole life. I needed to put this gift I've been given to perform back to use. To do that, I had to come to terms with the fact that my definition of having it all had changed. Having it all meant that every time I take a job, my heart will break a little when I come home too late for bed time, when I miss something funny or clever or charming she has said, when I am not there to comfort her when she gets hurt. Having it all meant constantly beating myself up for compromising my mothering to be an artist and my art to be a mother and then finding a way to let the guilt go. I began to understand that the blessing and the curse were one in the same, that nothing great comes without a price.

Now when I take a job, I look my daughter in the eye, screw up my courage and try to explain to her that Mommy has to go to work. And when she looks back at me and says, “But why?,” I tell her the truth: that work makes me a better person, a better woman, a better mother. Then I pray to God that she will understand one day and that my example will encourage her to find and follow her bliss as well … after I’ve paid for all the therapy, of course.

[From iVillage]

Katherine signs off with a nice little dose of humor, which makes her previous paragraphs seem less — how do you say — judgmental than they might otherwise be construed. After all, very few topics are quite as potentially inflammatory as a celebrity telling readers (many of whom are mothers) the best way to raise a child. Here, Heigl is saying what works best for her instead of getting all preachy in manner of Goop.

As a side note … can you imagine Goop writing this sort of essay? You know it would be a total nightmare and end with a requisite prescription for a $450 colon cleanse.

Getting back to Heigl’s words, I completely understand what she’s saying about feeling more complete while spending some of her time on a film set while cutting back the scale of her work. Obviously, the question of working outside the home is a personal choice for every mother to make on her own. Sometimes and in my own mind, I think we do the opposite of what we grew up with as children. Since I grew up as a latchkey kid, I was determined to not have my daughter go through that experience, so I now work from home. Financially, it can be a struggle at times, but it’s worth it … for me. And Katherine has found what works best for her as a mother even if, as an actress, she’s really not the “artist” that she seems to believe herself to be. At least, most of the movie and television work that she’s accepted hasn’t required any great stretching in that regard.

Still, I do love this photo of Katherine and Naleigh together. It should be on a greeting card.

Photos courtesy of Fame

FP_8156577_Heigl_Katherine_SAN_09_16 FP_8156575_Heigl_Katherine_SAN_07_16 FP_7775762_HeiglKelley_FamilyWalk_VIJ_34_36 FP_8249287_RIJ_NEW_YEAR_EVE_56_164
You have read this article with the title Cele|bitchy. You can bookmark this page URL http://thisgirlreprobate.blogspot.com/2012/01/celebitchy_10.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...