The Young, Black, and Fabulous

The Young, Black, and Fabulous


DO GOODER: Vivica Gives The Gift Of Hair To Breast Cancer Survivors

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 09:27 AM PDT

It's good to know that YBF chick Vivica A. Fox does good deeds all around the world.  The engaged actress is currently over in Jamaica .  And she gifted a few breast cancer survivors with exclusive wigs from her hair collection.  See the pics inside....

Vivica A. Fox hosted Fashion's Night Out for Jamaica recently at the Soho Boutique in Kingston!

She rocked a cute gold dress and looked pretty fab.

Earlier that morning, Viv co-hosted Jamaica's version of "Good Morning America" where she was able to promote her wig line, the Vivica Fox Hair Collection, and do segments with the show's hosts.

During the show she surprised two local breast cancer survivors with exclusive wigs from her upcoming collection!

Sweet!

Next up for Viv, she's one of the judges, along with Connie Chung and Adrienne Maloof, for the Miss Universe pageant tonight on NBC at 9pm EST  live from Jamaica.  It's hosted by Andy Cohen and Natalie Morales.

VIDEOS: Monica & Rick Ross "Anything"+Serena Pops Off On US Open Umpire

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 08:41 AM PDT

Monica just dropped her brand new video for her single "Anything" featuring Rick Ross.  Check out Mrs. Brown giving a vintage Mary J. Blige feel, plus how Serena Williams popped off yesterday during the US Open....

This "Anything" track, produced by Missy of course, originally had Lil Kim rapping on it.  But it had to be dropped for reasons out of Mo and Kim's control.  So Rick Ross added his 2 cents and the video doesn't disappoint.  Very Monica.

 

In other ish caught on video, Serena Williams popped off yesterday while in the finals of the US Open.  Apparently, it's illegal to yell out before your opponent is hits the ball during the set.  Serena yelled out "Come On!" and arguably threw her opponent, Samantha Stosur, off.  So Stosur missed the ball.  When the umpire gave the point to the opponent, Serena lost her temper and laid into the ump.  Telling her she's "unattractive" on the inside.

Apparently Serena thought (and asked if) this was the same ump that scolded her (the one she sent off on) a while back.  But it turns out it isn't. Serena ended up losing the match.

Your thoughts?

Kelis TOPS IT OFF At Bestival 2011 In The UK

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 08:32 AM PDT

Rocking out with a top hat, daisy dukes with fringe, striped tights, and massive earrings, Kelis commanded the stage at Bestival 2011 in the UK over the weekend. See pics of the "4th of July" singer on stage inside....

 

Yesterday, Kelis was among many who took the stage at day 4 of Bestival 2011, held at Robin Hill Country Park in Newport, Isle of Wight United Kingdom.  But probably the only person who rocked a look like this:

She and her stylist threw together a mix of styles for her ensemble.  She was a little bit country, a little bit hip hop and a little bit cabaret.  

Her time in the UK was not without controversy as she reportedly said that Katy Perry's music was crappy pop.  UK fans of Russell Brand's wife didn't take too kindly to those statements and Kelis' rep promptly issued a denial.  Mmhmm...

Photos via Wireimage/JSN Photography

FRONT ROW FAB: Solange, Selita, Angela Bassett, Tika, & More Hit Tracy Reese's Spring 2012 Show

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 08:04 AM PDT

The celeb ladies hit up designer Tracy Reese's Spring 2012 show at Lincoln Center yesterday.  And they looked cute as usual in the designer's clothing while kicking it front row.

 

Pics inside....

Selita Ebanks, Jamie Lynn Sigler, Tracy Reese, Aisha Tyler, and Louise Roe posed backstage after the runway show.

More backstage pics with Aisha Tyler and Tika Sumpter and Selita Ebanks.

Looks like Selita, Angela Bassett, and Tika had a good 'ol time.

Stylist June Ambrose, Solange Knowles, and Aisha Tyler all kicked it.

Solange hit the show in a black tied up shirt and a hot pink pleated maxi skirt:

Nice.

Ms. Reese looked happy about her beautiful collection.

 

And the ladies all looked fab:

Tika kicked it with actresses Jamie Lynn and Katie Cassidy.

Loving this Tracy Reese dress on Tika.

Fab times on the front row!

GET EXCITED Jennifer Hudson! It's Your 30th Birthday!

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 07:28 AM PDT


Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson has had a whirlwind of a year. Starting a new family, new movies, promoting a new album and a total body transformation, we have watched Jen come into her own as a woman and a mother. Celebrate her 30 years inside the gallery.

Kicking off her whirlwind year with stops at Oprah's couch and 20/20, Jennifer Hudson triumphantly dealt with the pain of losing her family while sharing the new life she was creating for herself.

With her two Davids (her fiance' and her son) she embarked on a year of cover shoots, movies, and high profile Weight Watchers commercials celebrating her body transformation.

And she even announced plans to detail how you can start your life over with a $1 million book deal.  Not too bad for a girl many folks at "American Idol" didn't view as a superstar.

Celebrate the 30th birthday of the new JHud in the photo gallery.

MORE PICS: Rihanna SEXES IT UP In ARMANI UNDERWEAR Ads

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 06:53 AM PDT

You've seen Rihanna's new Armani Jeans ad.  Now her Armani Underwear ads are heating up the net.  Check out the first look at Rih Rih's dainty yet edgy undies inside...

Rihanna is the face of the Armani brand Jeans & Underwear for the autumn/winter 2011-1012 season.  And she's putting her best face...and body..forward to show off their new undies:

Hot.  Still not loving the blonde coiffed wig.  But the pics are sexy nonetheless.

By the way, word has it Rih may be a guest judge on the new season of "X-Factor" alongside L.A. Reid (who signed her 6 years ago).

Source: Giorgio Armani Corporation

L'OREAL Gets Your Skin Ready For FALL!

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 06:34 AM PDT

Envy the flawless skin of Beyonce, Kerry Washington, and Jennifer Lopez?  Well L'Oreal Paris is good enough for them.  So why not give it a try?

 

Deets inside on how L'Oreal will get our skin ready for fall...

Click the image above for more!

Evelyn Lozada DISHES On Having TWINS With OchoCinco & Does A "Fiancee' Photoshoot" For "The Boston Herald"

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 08:48 PM PDT

Chad OchoCinco's fiancee', Evelyn Lozada, made her town debut in the local Boston press over the weekend with a pictorial and interview for The Boston Herald where she talked about making babies with OchoCinco and how she hopes the pair can "run the city" with Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen. Get the deets inside.....

 

Nowadays, "BBW" star Evelyn Lozada is telling everyone about the family she plans to start with New England Patriots (who are based in Boston) baller Chad Ochocinco.  In fact, their plans to conceive were documented all last season on "BBW." 

“The twins are waiting for me,” she said. “That’s the great thing about in vitro. You can plan rather than having an oopsie.”

While sitting for an interview with The Boston Herald, Evelyn revealed the twins already have names....Pepe And Esteban*eyebrows raised*

She also revealed that once she relocates to Boston, (she and Chad are moving into a two bedroom, two bath home in Foxboro) , she doesn't plans to sit around quietly waiting on Chad after practice.  In fact...she hopes to be at practice with supermodel Gisele Bundchen (girlfriend of Patriots QB Tom Brady).

“I’m not opposed to a double date. I’d invite them out.  We’re hoping to bring some flavor and fun to Boston. Maybe it could be Tom, Gisele, Evelyn and Chad take over Boston. That would be cool.”

Good luck with that.  Evelyn, who also revealed that she and Chad (who have been engaged for 9 months) plan to marry in a star-studded wedding next summer in Miami, addressed the notion that she's a gold-digger as she's going from being a "basketball wife" to a "football wife."  Especially since she's never made it to the alter yet.

 “Listen, first of all, I met Antoine (former Boston Celtics player Antoine Walker) in New York. I’m not one of those girls who chase. I’m not sitting in front of the hotel. This is how my life played out for me. 

When I started dating my ex (Walker), once you date one, you’re labeled. It doesn’t bother me. I didn’t chase Chad. It’s just something that happened.”

And Evelyn is making the best of her association with Chad, having been photographed at Miel and the presidential suite at the InterContinental Boston for her spread.  She roced her own clothes and pink spiked Louboutins the shoot:

Evelyn does have a great body.

I my not be the biggest Evelyn fan, but these are cute pics.  She also joked about tweeting Chad while they are in bed together saying, “I’ll say something like, ‘I’ve been watching SportsCenter all day and I want to kill myself,’ because he watches SportsCenter like a million times. And he’ll say something smart like, ‘Then get out of the damn room then.’

 

Watch the behind-the-scenes video of the shoot here:

 

Photos via Ted Fitzgerald/Boston Herald

INSIDE FASHION WEEK: YBF Chats Up Gloria Govan, Laura Govan (She's BACK With GILBERT!), Olivia, & Trina From The Front Row

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 03:19 PM PDT

Some of your fave reality ladies hit the Mychael Knight Spring 2012 show last night.  And we chatted it up with Gloria & Laura Govan and others to get the scoop on what to expect from the VH1 foolery and the latest updates on their personal lives.

 

Check it inside...

While dishing with L.A. "Basketball Wife" Laura Govan, we found out she's back with her on-again off again fiance'--Magic baller Gilbert Arenas!  You would think after abandoning her (while pregnant) with three of their other kids and with no food or money..or child support...less than a year ago, while he jetted down to Orlando, Laura would be done for good.  Or after Gilbert recently had her sued for fraud.  Or after he tried to have a judge stop her from appearing on the show.  Apparently not.

But she indeed confirmed and told us, "I'm just very happy. Gilbert and I are back together!" Hmm....

 

We asked Laura's sister, Gloria, a few q's about her own appearance so far on "Basketball Wives: L.A." and her seemingly crazy relationship with fiance' Laker Matt Barnes.

On how Gloria feels about her relationship despite people's negative perception (and takes a swipe at the Miami cast):

"I can't ever understand how they got this.  I'm not perfect.  Let me tell you...Matt and I have so many issues and flaws in our relationship and I've always said that. The only thing I would never do is allow someone in my relationship that I don't know... who’s not unique enough..you know like the Miami girls. I was like, I don't even know y'all and y'all just want to know my drama. So I'm not telling you.

Matt and I have our ups and we have our downs...we have kids...there's a lot. This season, you really get to see our relationship kind of in 3D.  So it's really cool that people get a chance to take a look at that.”

On people's comparisons of her to Shaunie O'Neal:

“I had to ask somebody because I really didnt tune into the second season.  But if it's in terms of a business woman, I'll take that. But in terms of being like, 'I’m boss bitch,' thats not me. I tell it how it is and if you like it, cool.  If you don't, sorry. All these women are old.  They have kids so I'm not trying to tell people who they need to be friends with. But in terms of being a business woman, I'll give it to Shaunie...she has it down."

On her friendships with any of the other wives:

Malaysia and I are definitely cool. Of course, you know Shaunie & I don't necessarily like each other.  But we can be in the same place without having an altercation.

 

We also chatted up Olivia of "Love & Hip Hop."  And she dished to us about what we can expect on season 2...including the episodes extending from 30 minutes to an hour.  She tells us: "The show should be airing in mid-November.  It's already a ton of drama!"

When asked about her relationship with castmate Sowmya, she responded with, "What relationship?"  The "December" singer also said there is another person (in addition to Kimbella?) joining the show, but she had to remain mum on who.

And finally, rap chick Trina revealed to us she's been promoting her new "Red Bottoms" single and her new album is dropping soon.  But of course, we had to ask her about her interesting friendship with the Hollywood girls like LaLa, Kim K., and Ciara.

Everybody's not a friend.  I've been friends with LaLa for over 10 years.  That's a lot of friendship.  A lot of good and bad. We've been through a lot. 

It's important that women to be wise and independent and also have associates.  I like to keep people very close.  Me and my friends--we support each other no matter what.

And on her dating life, i.e. with her on-again, off-again boo Denver Nuggets baller Kenyon Martin

[Screams and laughs] I'm very happily....happy right now.  I'm in  agreat place right now.  I'm just very happy with myself.  And I think that's the best way to be.

Yeah...we know what's up girl...

 

 

We'll Drink To That! It's Your 34th Birthday Ludacris

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 02:57 PM PDT

Today is the 34th birthday of rapper and philanthropist Christopher "Ludacris" Bridges.  Pour a glass of Conjure and celebrate inside...

 Though he made his name with his prolific rap skills, Ludacris has taken his time in the spotlight and built an enviable portfolio of business investments.  From his successful Straits restaurant in Atlanta to his Conjure branded cognac, we have watched him shave off the braids and elevate his game and go far beyond anyone's expectations (including a well-received performance at this year's CMT Music awards). 

 

And with the love of his life, Eudoxie, by his side, Ludacris went from just being a "cute" rapper to a very-sexy businessman.

Check out our b-day gallery below.

HAPPY B-DAY LUDA!

FRONT ROW FAB: Swizz Beatz And Alicia Keys At Alexander Wang's Spring 2012 Collection

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 01:16 PM PDT

One of music's hottest couples, Swizz Beatz and Alicia Keys, were spotted out at Alexander Wang's 2012 presentation for NYC's Fashion Week...and of course the couple sat front row.  See their pics inside...

Alicia Keys and her fashionable husband Swizz Beatz were spotted making their way to the front row for the 2012 presentation of Alexander Wang's spring collection.

When asked about the designer, Alicia said, "I love Alexander Wang. I love his style, his cool, his ease with it all. I’m definitely a fan.”

Alicia is also gearing up for the October 10 premiere of the movie Five, which she directed for Lifetime.  The film features breast cancer as one of its themes.

 

Photos via Rap-Up.com

REMEMBERING 9/11: YBF Readers Share Personal Stories About Being In NYC On 9/11

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 12:56 PM PDT

Today, we remember the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks by sharing stories sent in by YBF readers who were in NYC on that fateful day. Read about their experiences inside.....

 

A few readers sent in stories about their experiences in NYC on 9/11.  Read them here.....

 
            The day was supposed to be a beautiful day. I woke up early that morning anticipating the trip to Brooklyn. Me and some high school friends planned on cutting school and going downtown to shop, eat, laugh and live. On our way, coming from Staten Island we were on the 8:30 Ferry headed into Manhattan. We were almost at the Manhattan border when the first plane hit the towers. We felt the impact in the water as the boat shook. The boat was occupied by mostly business men and women on their way to work. I was so confused as to what was actually happening. We all watched the second plane hit not too long after. That's when it became clear to many that there was something wrong. I looked around me and saw everyone on their cell phone. Some people were even crying. We were almost at Manhattan when the Ferry boat did a U turn and made its way back to Staten Island. I remember thinking "dammnn we can't go to Brooklyn." As we were on the boat on our way back to Staten Island we watched the towers burning, and lower Manhattan in a frenzy. At that point I still didn't realize how serious it was. I was young and should have actually been in school but it just so happened that I was witnessing a tragedy that would become history. I will never forget 9/11 terrorist attacks.
-Anonymous
 
            I was in high school at the time and it was located very near the world trade center. I remember it was during my 3rd period class that our school principal announced that all of the students, faculty and staff meet in the auditorium. I remember finding this quite odd and thought that perhaps it was some random fire drill of sorts. It wasn't long before we were told what happened, and we all burst into tears. It was unbelievably surreal. Many students were worried about loved ones who worked in the WTC and I later learned that some did in fact lose relatives on that horrible day. I was a senior that year and only the seniors were allowed to go home early, soon after the announcement. When I stepped outside, that's when it became real. It felt like a scene from a horror movie. Smoke everywhere, people running and crying. I didn't know which way to go. It took me 6 hrs to get home when my commute is usually 45mins. On the way home, I met several people who were anxious in knowing about their loved ones. I've never seen the people of NYC so united as I did that day. No one was a stranger. We didn't bypass one another without at the very least giving each other a look of despair. It was a day I will never forget and one that will live with all New Yorkers forever.
-Sharlene Vasquez
 
 
            I will never forget that day ten years ago. I was a junior in high school and ironically enough, I was in my American History class when America's history changed. To witness such hatred, horror, and panic is still something that hurts my heart today. But to also see the way this tragedy pulled us all a little closer, even if for a moment, made me feel proud to be an American. To the families that lost their loved ones on that day, we will never forget!
- Domonique Brown
  
 
            When I remember September 11, 2001, there is a great sadness that comes over me. I was in Brooklyn, on my way to Manhattan. I was a freelance artist at the time, so THANK GOD,  I did not have to go to a 9-5 that day. I stopped at the bodega a little after 8am to get a metro card. The owner told me, "I don't think you're gonna be able to get into Manhattan. A plane just hit the World Trade Center." He pointed at a 13" TV behind me to look at the footage playing of the plane hitting one of the towers, which I later learned was the first tower to fall. I stood in shock, but it still didn't register. I told him to have a good day & I left, still on my journey into Manhattan. I got on the A train, but by the time I got to High St Brooklyn Bridge station, the train operator told everyone that it was the last stop & everyone had to get off, because no trains were going into Manhattan. I immediately got off, because I knew what happened, and as I was exiting the train I turned behind me to see if others were leaving, only a few of us got off. The others were on the train like it was a normal signal issue that was causing the delay.
As I was coming out of the station I had this unusual feeling of anxiety and fear. When I walked out, there was a car with the passenger door open & radio loud enough for passersby to hear the news channel. It was mayhem and that was the first day I realized (after being in NY for 2 years) that you could see the world trade towers very well from the Brooklyn Bridge. When I looked at the bridge and saw people walking...and running...across covered in white ash, then I looked at the 2nd tower and was only able to see it standing for a few seconds before it collapsed before my eyes. It sounded like Niagara Falls. My mouth dropped open and I cried and looked up to the sky and said, "What is going on?! Why is this happening?" A woman came around the fence, walking fast & crying hysterically. I just stood there, scared to move. I tried to use my cell phone to call my mother & I knew she must have been just as hysterical as me and the woman that passed me. My phone didn't have a signal so I walked until I found a pay phone and the line was around the block. I walked to a school and went in and found pay phones. There was no line. I called my mom and when she heard my voice, she screamed, "THANK YOU JESUS!!!" and just cried. We both cried. I was so scared and was praying that wouldn't be the last time I spoke to her.
I was traumatized for months. I still get so sad when I hear the #'s, 9/11. that day represented so much for me, and millions of others, but I must say that I felt every emotion: fear, joy, pain and anger. Anger because I had to walk from downtown Brooklyn to BedStuy (Stuyvesant Hts), which took me an hour. I know that was not long compared to many others who did not live in Brooklyn, but Jersey, Queens, or Staten Island. Some people did not get home for several hours.
I THANK GOD that I did not make it to Manhattan that day...that, even though I was not working on a project that day, or working a 9-5, I was still running behind (my) schedule. My heart goes out to the families and friends who lost loved ones that day. I pray that those who perished that day are at peace.
-Mary, Brooklyn Girl from San Francisco

            I am from Brooklyn, NY. I am 21 years old now, but when 9/11 first occurred I was 11, and starting 6th grade; As a matter of fact I was outside on my school lawn which has a direct view of lower Manhattan. We were playing outside during physical education and all of a sudden my classmates and I heard a loud "BOOM" we looked over and the first tower was on fire. At 11 years old I thought it was a movie or something, nothing at all compared to what it is remember today. With everyone’s eyes looking at the fire, we then saw what looked like a giant black bird ram into the 2nd tower. My physical education teacher then noted something was wrong and told us to come back inside. As we were walking in I noticed that one of my classmates was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me her dad worked in the 76th floor of one of the two towers. My heart sank and I didn’t understand what our nation was experiencing. Two hours later my uncle picked me up and some of my family members went to church. My condolences go out anyone who lost someone on 9/11 whether it be in NYC, PA or D.C. 
-Nicholas
 
            9/11 was a very important day for my family and I. I still remember this day and replay everything that was happening. I was very young around 7 or 8, at home for some reason that day and my grandma was on the phone with my grandfather like she usually is. He worked for the port authority and he was in the 1st twin tower that fell. She was talking to him about how his day was going and she said, I just want you to know I love you and he replied back and said I love you too. After that, moments later everything went down. This triggered me so hard because we found out through all the coverage that was on the news channels. My family and I were devastated it was non-stopping tears and visitors showing up at the house. It really showed me that you really have to cherish every single moment with the people you love the most because seconds later they can be gone. It upsets my mom the most that people are trying to make money off of a tragic situation by building museums and memorials and charging a fee. As a family we are strong and it still affects my mom, aunts, uncles and my grandma the most when we have family events. It really made my family ties so much stronger and 9/11 will always be in the heart.
-Malik
 
 
            I was trapped at the Bowling Green train station because there weren't any more trains going uptown or downtown,  so all passengers had to walk. Above ground it was chaotic. People were confused and I didn't know where to go. I didn't even know that the towers were hit by a plane until I walked to the city hall train station and then walked over to Brooklyn Bridge (still no trains obviously) and saw tower 2 crumble. When I got home to Brooklyn the smell turned my stomach I can still remember it. I also remember how people helped each other,  people gave out food water and shoes (a lot of us lost our shoes running across the bridge because people thought the bridge would be a target after the tower collapsed). I'm proud to be a New Yorker but at the sometime I wish something else could've brought us together
-Lisa Del Sol
 
 
             I'm from Brooklyn NY. I was 8 years old when the twin towers went down. I remember being in class reading a book, when the principal came on the loud speakers & told us that the 1st tower was hit then came back & told us the 2nd tower was hit. I remember everyone & myself was looking out the school window seeing smoke in the air. Everyone in my class was scared. We really didn't know what was happening. I remember thinking OH MY GOD, my mom’s best friend works in the one of the towers. I was sad. Parents were picking up their children from school. I remember my mom friend came & picked me up from school and I went to her house with my sister and her kids. When I got to her house I called my mom & ask if Nadia died. She told me no she had called out. I just remember tears rolling down my cheeks because I was happy she wasn't there thank God. When I put on the TV, every channel was talking about what had happened. I just remember sitting down watching the news, just sad seeing both planes hitting the towers, both towers falling, people jumping out the window, people running, all that smoke in the air. As a little girl watching all that I was very confused I wanted to know why NYC why is this happening to us and was very scared to go to Manhattan.
                     R.I.P to all who lost loves one that day! :(
-Rochayka

My grandmother worked on the 85th floor in the North tower of the World Trade Center, and one memorable day she brought me along to her job. It would be my first and last time seeing the buildings up close rather than from a view of the skyline from the Brooklyn Bridge. After exiting the subway station, I must’ve shielded my eyes to scale the buildings, seeing as though they pierced the sky. We entered her building and I braced myself for what I thought would be the longest elevator ride of my life, during which I feared the elevator would malfunction and the popping in my ears would never cease.

I was in fifth grade at Greer Elementary in Albemarle County, Virginia. The attack occurred while I was in social studies, and our teacher informed us of the planes plunging into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, explaining what “terrorism” was since we hadn’t covered the subject. After he finished, I told him my grandma worked in one of those buildings. He asked if I wanted to go to the guidance office, but I refused. I wanted to remain in class and talk about the attacks with my classmates. My mother picked me up early from school, and she cried and hugged me as if my school had been attacked. At home we watched the towers fall.

I hadn’t cried when my teacher told us about the attacks, and I hadn’t cried when my mother came to my school with tears in her eyes. However, watching the towers collapse, one then the other, caused an eruption inside of me and tears spilled uncontrollably down my cheeks. My mother was hysterical, switching channels and making phone calls trying to find out if my grandmother was still alive. After awhile, she sat beside me on the living room couch and we watched the news together. I cried myself to sleep, tuning out the drone of news anchors and sirens. My mom woke me up a few hours later and told me my grandmother was safe. The tears came again and I wasn’t pacified until I was able to speak with her myself. She didn’t tell me then how she survived, but her story unraveled in an interview I conducted for school a few weeks later.

It turned out that she missed her usual LIRR train, throwing her 15 minutes off schedule. She took a later train to Penn Station and transferred to the subway. While waiting on the platform at Chambers Street to catch 1 line, she heard an announcement describing an explosion at the World Trade Center that prevented the train from arriving. She ran out of the station and saw clouds of smoke and the buildings ablaze. A friend invited her to her office nearby where she attempted to make phone calls. Suddenly, the building shook, lights flickered, and roars of screams and thunderous commotion drew her out into the street. She witnessed people jumping to their deaths as smoke and debris began to clutter the sky. The South tower disintegrated before her eyes. She ran blindly, ending up at a thrift store on 14th street where she phoned her family, friends, and her office in Long Island. While on 14th, the North Tower collapsed like its twin, and here her memory blurs into a montage of screams, tears, and smoke.

Staring out of the North tower window, two years before the 9/11 attacks, I couldn’t have known that hijackers would plunge a plane eight floors above. I envisioned falling from the window, but I couldn’t have imagined the agony inside the heads of the people who jumped to escape incineration. While eating lunch with my grandmother in the lounge, it was impossible to know that two of her closest co-workers, Valerie and Marie, would enter the building on a regular workday two years later and never leave.

On that morning, I was in awe of the magnitude of destruction as the buildings disappeared into the smoke, a stark contrast to the wondrous experience of gazing out of one of the tower’s windows 85 stories up. For three seemingly eternal hours I thought my grandmother was dead and I am thankful that a twist of fate saved her life. Although the towers are gone, I will always remember those windows to the skies.

- Jillian McMichael

 

A big thank you to those readers who shared their stories.

INSIDE FASHION WEEK: Mychael Knight's Spring 2012 Runway, Celebs & Our Chat With The Designer!

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 11:17 AM PDT

Former "Project Runway" contestant turned popular designer Mychael Knight premiered his Spring 2012 line for NY Fashion Week in Soho last night.

 

TheYBF.com was on the scene.  And we asked a few questions to the celebs like Trina, Olivia, and Gloria Govan who were sitting front row.  And we picked out our fave looks that came down the runway.  Pics and deets inside...

Mychael tapped models Jessica White, Dani Evans ("Top Model" winner), and Nik Pace (former "top Model" contestant) to hit the runway for his show.  Dani's looking all kinds of hot at this show.  Loves it.

Mychael said to us about his life and dream of showing at NY Fashion Week:

"Life is fun! I’m in a good place right now.  This is a very happy moment. This whole collection brought out memories of my youth..I’m just in a really happy place right now.  You have to work for it. This whole process was hard as hell. I cried a lot this year.  You cant give up”

 

The gorgeous gals snapped some pics together.

Pretty.

Another former "Top Model" contest, Keenyah Hill, was also there.

Nik, who recently had a baby with NFLer Braylon Edwards, hit the show.

Trina, Gloria & Laura Govan, and Olivia all got fab for the front row:

Pretty looks for the ladies.

Mashonda and Olivia also kicked it front row.

And Keenyah kicked it with Sherri Shepherd.

Check out our fave looks that came down the runway and backstage in the gallery below.  Mychael used his great sense of color and avoided what he hates: browns and tans.

MUSIC FAB: Drake's "Free Spirit" Ft. Rick Ross

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 10:38 AM PDT

Drake, who recently DJed at Fashion Night Out, is really testing the waters for his upcoming Take Care album. He recently dropped three new tracks for fans and one of them features Rick Ross.  Inside, listen to "Free Spirit" ft. Rick Ross and preview two other Drake tracks.....

Drake may not be dropping his new cd, Take Care, until October 24, but he's releasing new music that may appear on the album. 

This weekend so far, he's dropped "Free Spirit" featuring Rick Ross, another track called "Club Paradise" and a track from Waka Flocka called "Round Of Applause" that he is featured on.

 

Listen to "Free Spirit" ft. Rick Ross here:

Listen to "Club Paradise" here:

 

Listen to Waka Flocka's "Round Of Applause" ft. Drake here:

 

How do you like what may appear on Take Care so far?

Solange, Angela Simmons, Wendy Williams, & More Make The Rounds At NY Fashion Week

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 09:32 AM PDT

Several celebs spent their weekend hitting up fashion shows at the Lincoln Center and off-site for NY Fashion Week. We've got the round up of which shows celebs sat front row at this weekend inside....

 

Solange and her cute 'fro hit the Boy and Girl by the Band of Outsiders show last night in midtown.

 

She looked cute in her red shorts and geometric dsigned top for the event.  She also kicked it with Band of Outsiders' creative director Scott Sternberg.

Omarion hit up the Teen Vogue fashion week event.  These pants....

Angela Simmons kicked it at Charlotte Ronson's afterparty and show.

But rocked a different look beforehand at Vivienne Tam's show at Lincoln Center:

Loves this dress.

She kicked it backstage with Ms. Tam herself:

And sat front rown with Kelly Osburne, Nicky Hilton, Whitney Port, and Joy Bryant:

Cute!

Wendy Williams was also there backstage with the designer.

And June Ambrose was spotted with her daughter Summer (how cute!) taking in the show.

Sherri Shepherd and Vanessa Williams hit the Carmen Marc Valvo show:

Vanessa, whose last season of "Desperate Housewives" starts September 25th, kicked it backstage with Mr. Valvo himself.

 

And Selita Ebanks looked cute as well walking around the shows.

Stay tuned for full INSIDE coverage of the Mychael Knight Spring 2012 show...

You have read this article with the title The Young, Black, and Fabulous. You can bookmark this page URL http://thisgirlreprobate.blogspot.com/2011/09/the-young-black-and-fabulous_12.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...