Cele|bitchy

Cele|bitchy


Matt Damon brought his wife Lucy to Venice, groped her on the red carpet

Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:41 AM PDT

wenn3493468

I've already covered the photos of Dame Goop at the Venice Film Festival, so here is her costar, Matt Damon and his shiny head too. I know he shaved his head for a movie, but I really, really dislike this look on him. He looks so much hotter with hair. But! I like that now that he's 40, he's finally "filled out". Long gone is his boyish, skinny (but built) body - his face has filled out and he seems like he's carrying around twenty pounds that he's never going to lose. It looks good on him. Sidenote: can you believe that he's 40?!?! When did everyone get so old?

Anyway, here's Matt and Lucy at the premiere of Contagion. Lucy wore Gustavo Cadile, which looks kind of like vintage Badgley Mischka, or current Elie Saab. I don't love the dress, but I think it's kind of cool and unusual that Lucy is showing off her tan lines. In the age of fake-bakes and tanning beds, it's nice to see someone who came by their tan the old-fashioned way. I always like that Lucy looks like a normal person - she's really pretty, sure, but she looks like a normal mom of four who just happens to be married to a movie star. I also like that Matt is groping his wife a bit - that's his hand on her ass. Now we know why she keeps getting pregnant.

wenn3493457

By the way, Matt told reporters that his wife's nickname for him is "Red Alert" because of how he fusses over their kids. Matt said: "I'm probably more protective than I've ever been now that I have children. My wife [Luciana]'s nickname for me is 'Red Alert.' I sometimes check to see if the kids are breathing. I tend be a little overprotective without trying to be a helicopter parent." Aw… is it possible that Matt is really and truly this nice and decent? Is it possible that he loves his wife and kids, that he has a great marriage and that he's truly the exception to the "Hollywood douche-cheater" rule? Fingers crossed.

wenn3493446

wenn5713852

wenn5713922

Photos courtesy of WENN.

Review of ‘The Debt’: a hot mess with Nazis and boring moral dilemmas

Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:07 AM PDT

debt1

Yesterday, I went to see The Debt. I was really looking forward to it, but after I saw it, I barely thought about it again. It's not that I didn't appreciate that the film was made - I think stories of Nazi-hunting and the early days of the Mossad are fascinating, and I wish more movies and books were out, telling those stories. But there were problems in the basic storytelling of The Debt, and in the end, the film isn't very good.

The basic plot: The Debt tells the stories of three Mossad agents in 1967, as they are hunting "the surgeon of Birkenau" in East Germany and those same agents in 1997, as they are older and jaded. First, the cast is fantastic, and all of the actors turned in the best performances they could with a deeply flawed screenplay. Sam Worthington and Ciarán Hinds play the same character, and both were excellent, although I would have loved to see Hinds in the film more. I always think that Sam is such a meathead, but he did this quiet, dramatic role very well - his part was mostly intense looks. Tom Wilkinson and Marton Csokas play the same character - which is weird, because Tom looks nothing like Marton. Marton gives me huge Clive Owen vibes, which is to say he makes my biscuits have a party. Csokas is a sexy bitch in this film, but in the end, he's just kind of jackass of a character.

The bulk of the story falls on Helen Mirren, and her younger version played by Jessica Chastain. Chastain does an admirable job as the completely green, in-over-her-head spy, while Helen could give depth and weight to the most asinine of line readings. The creepiest scenes in the movie involved Chastain and her work with the actor playing the Nazi, the "surgeon of Birkenau".

As for the flaws… well, let me do this:

SPOILERS BELOW….

The failures of the plot were about the supposed "moral dilemma" of whether Nazis should be captured and put on trial or whether they should just be killed outright. There was also the "moral dilemma" of whether or not you should take credit for something that you didn't accomplish, and take credit for it simply because no one will ever find out. The first moral dilemma is rooted in the actual history of the state of Israel - they wanted to have trials of the captured Nazis, because they wanted to show the world what had happened during the Holocaust, and because they thought war crimes trials would be the most moral and just way of handling the issue. So what's the problem? Seeing three Israeli spies agonize over the life of a Nazi is eye-roll inducing. Is it really a moral dilemma to kill someone who murdered thousands?

As for the second moral dilemma, that of taking credit for something that no one would be able to prove otherwise - meh. That's the part of the film that was a mess. Mirren did the best she could do, but the last twenty minutes of the film were just awful.

Oh, and my last problem with the film - the Chastain/Mirren character wouldn't have been sent on that mission, I don't think. She was there for a specific reason - because the mission needed a younger woman to set the trap - but I don't buy that Mossad would have sent a woman who was so young, so emotional, and so untested on this important mission.

debt3

debt2

wenn3492976

wenn3478974

Photos courtesy of WENN.

Kate Winslet in white & black Stella McCartney: tacky or cute?

Posted: 04 Sep 2011 07:23 AM PDT

wenn3492048

Most of you absolutely hated Kate Winslet's beige-y Victoria Beckham dress at the Venice Film Festival premiere of Carnage. I don't know, I kind of liked it then and I kind of liked it now. Kate usually doesn't wear very "modern" dresses… or, I guess I should say it this way, she usually doesn't pull off very clean, modern styles. I personally don't think she really knows what looks good on her figure, and I won't even get into how she styles herself. Anyway, these are even more photos of Kate from Venice - she's also there to promote Mildred Pierce, I guess because the miniseries hasn't aired internationally yet? Kate wore this odd Stella McCartney dress for the red carpet. Now, THIS I hate. Michael K calls it a titty-bib dress, but it's worse than that. The way the panels are cut to specifically "fool the eye" into thinking Kate has a smaller figure, it's just tacky. It's like the dress equivalent of a tuxedo t-shirt. And Kate needs to stop pouring herself into these too-tight dresses too.

wenn3492052

I disliked Evan Rachel Wood's red carpet dress too - she wore this black Alessandra Rich. I think it looks cheap, like something on the discount rack at Belk's. ERW tries to upgrade it with her styling, but it's just kind of meh.

wenn5713321

Both Kate and ERW looked cute for the earlier photo call though - I like that Evan is trying to bring back the vest. It's so 1993.

wenn3491073

wenn3491258

wenn5713277

Photos courtesy of WENN.

Keira Knightley in Valentino, in Venice: a golden cloud of gorgeous?

Posted: 04 Sep 2011 06:59 AM PDT

wenn3491935

These are some Keira Knightley photos from Friday's Venice Film Festival premiere of A Dangerous Method, which continues to be one of the best-reviewed films coming out of Venice. Keira seems to be getting a lot of credit and a lot of attention for the film too, which is surprising, to me at least. Keira seems like the odd woman out, talent-wise, in a cast of supremely talented actors including My Fassbender, Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassel. We'll see what happens when the film opens in wide release, though. Viggo always gets a lot of attention for his collaborations with Cronenberg, and I suspect that during the awards season, we won't be hearing much about Keira's performance.

Anyway, for the premiere, Keira wore this Valentino gown. I think it's a weird choice for Keira, considering she rarely does this kind of full-on Glamour Girl look. The dress looks like a throwback to a different era, and I like the whole "floating on a cloud of gold lace" vibe I'm getting. I think the whole thing is gorgeous, and it's probably even prettier and more amazing in person. My only complaints: the gown would be more appropriate for a winter awards show or premiere, rather than a film festival in the first week of September. Also: her eye makeup. I love Keira's face (I do!), but her features, much like Anne Hathaway's, easily go "squirrelly". Keira should avoid really heavy eye makeup.

I've also added a photo of Keira in a casual navy shirtdress - she's really working the Audrey Hepburn vibe in Venice, isn't she?

wenn3493400

wenn3491951

wenn5713514

wenn5713569

wenn5713578

Photos courtesy of WENN.

Gwyneth Paltrow in Prada, in Venice: lovely, elegant or tragic?

Posted: 04 Sep 2011 06:32 AM PDT

wenn3492438

Gwyneth Paltrow was all over Venice this weekend for the film festival's premiere of Contagion, that Soderbergh movie where she dies like ten minutes into the film. Matt Damon and his wife were there too, but this is the Gwyneth-centric post, because there's lots to talk about it.

wenn3492374

Let's do fashion first. For both the Contagion photo call and premiere, Gwyneth wore Prada. The orange dress (for the photo call) is kind of meh to me - I don't like Goop in orange, it makes her skin look weird. I also find the faux-cap sleeves, with the weird draping, rather ugly. It makes her look like she has hunched shoulders, which isn't good for Gwyneth's naturally slouchy posture. That being said, her body looks great. I think her legs look particularly sexy, and I usually don't use the word "sexy" for Dame Goop.

wenn3492515

The Prada gown for the premiere was this weird condom dress with the overly-large back bow, all in this pale pink-nude color. It could have washed Gwyneth out, but I kind of like the color on her, but I'm meh on the design. Maybe if it didn't have the mock turtle? Maybe if the darting on the bodice was done better?

I will give Goop credit for some things though - her hair and face look better than they've looked in months. She's not puffy and waxy, her skin looks healthy and natural. And her blonde looks good too - bitch got her roots done for the film festival, and she's softened her blonde with some rich-looking low and highlights.

wenn5713889

wenn5713850

wenn3493465

wenn5713884

Photos courtesy of WENN.

You have read this article with the title Cele|bitchy. You can bookmark this page URL http://thisgirlreprobate.blogspot.com/2011/09/celebitchy_4.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...